Friday, September 10, 2010

Grocery Shopping!

So last night I went grocery shopping at the local Shopper's market. It's just your generic grocery store, you know, like Shop Rite or Giant or any of the generic big-name markets wherever you live. I got there pretty late (the only reason I could go at all was because my dad was stopping over briefly in the area on his way back from SC), and the fish counter was closed, which was my major disappointment of the night. Hopefully I will be going to an Asian market tomorrow where I can get some salmon and maybe some fish-paste? Possibly some catfish to throw in the freezer?

My second disappointment was that they didn't have any of the individually wrapped chicken breasts that my mother suggested. I really want to make curry chicken, but I don't have enough room in my stomach to eat a whole pack of chicken breast by myself unless I eat the curry chicken for breakfast, lunch, and dinner sans rice. SO, I suppose the curry will have to wait. Maybe the Asian food market will supply me with chicken, too.

What I did purchase is as follows:
  • three bell peppers (for tomorrow's bento and some snackage)
  • a pound of asparagus (but there's nobody to eat the tips and trade me for the stalks! D: How sad)
  • Kraft cheese slices
  • Honeyed ham slices
  • A loaf of whole-wheat bread
  • Granny Smith Apples (I hear B cringing)
  • Grapes
  • an apple slicer
  • Eggs
Now, tomorrow night I'm going to be making bento with A so that we can eat something at the Lolita Meetup I'm being dragged along to by my darling Aristo and Loli pair. (I actually have an outfit and everything... I think those two enjoyed playing dressup with me entirely too much.)

As for today, I had leftover juk (my favorite and only comfort food) with pork sung for breakfast, pepper slices and a little bit of ranch dip for lunch, and just now, a grilled cheese sandwich with ham for dinner. I didn't take pictures, nor did I do anything incredibly special to make it, but here's a breakdown for those of you who can't even figure out out to toast bread the cool way...


Pour a little bit of olive oil (extra virgin?) into a heated frying pan. You can tell it's hot enough by splashing a couple DROPS of water onto the pan-- if they sizzle, it's good to go. I didn't use a lot of olive oil-- just a dime-sized amount and then (I learned this trick from my dad) brushed it around with the edge of my clean-up paper towel to cover the area where my bread was gonna fry. A tiny little bit of salt (because I'm planning on offing myself via sodium poisoning) and then plop! In goes the first slice of bread. When it was nicely golden, I flipped it over and dropped some cheese on the freshly grilled side. Waited a couple seconds, then pulled it out and set it aside on a plate. I did the same with the other piece of bread, and then I dropped four slices of ham (they're pretty small and thin) into the frying pan just to heat them up a bit and use up the rest of the EVOO, and then...

GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH... ASSEMBLLLLLE!

I didn't like sandwiches, originally-- I don't like bread, normally. But last semester I was turned on to grilled cheese sandwiches with peppers and onions, and since then, sandwiches had been my go-to food when I want something light to eat that won't make my mother cluck her tongue in consternation. (Because my idea of a light meal is a mini-bag of microwave popcorn and a handful of M&Ms. Ask anyone who plays video games with me.)

I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately, but I'll try to document the bento tomorrow, and the future curry when it happens.

Also! My mentor and one of my suitemates and I decorated our living area today. Pictures of that are forthcoming.

Peace out, homefries.

<3 信

2 comments:

  1. Hey lovely. <3

    You should make some bento for me one day. xDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curry~! Curry curry curry, make me some too, that way the chicken will go twice as fast [I can say for certain they have instant curry (with and without veggies in them) at Super Grand]. Shopper's is sort of like th Target of grocery stores, ne? Also, toaster! $3 at Target on Black Friday~! Save the EVOO and gas and go electric.

    ReplyDelete